- Contacts and locations
- Engagement and consultation
- Policies and guidelines
- Publications and resources
Access and inclusion plans
- Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014 to 2018
- Our vision - Disability Access and Inclusion Plan
- Disability access and inclusion context
- South Australians living with disability
- Departmental profile - staff with disability
- Disability Access and Inclusion Plan outcomes
- Outcome 1: inclusive and accessible communities
- Outcome 2: economic security and employment
- Outcome 3: rights protection, justice and legislation
- Outcome 4: personal and community support
- Outcome 5: learning and skills
- Outcome 6: health and wellbeing
- Disability Access and Inclusion Plan development and implementation
- ASSIST Therapy Services
- Child and Youth Services
- Exceptional Needs Unit
- Moving On Program
- Office of the Senior Practitioner
Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014 to 2018
For the purposes of this document the terms Aboriginal community and Aboriginal people are inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Chief Executive's foreword
The Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) is leading the introduction of disability access and inclusion plans (DAIPs) across state and local government, and statutory authorities in South Australia.
To achieve socially cohesive communities agencies need inclusive practices. Well documented research indicates that people who are excluded from the community are socially and economically disadvantaged, impacting on their health, wellbeing and capacity for participation.
Disability can be a product of functional impairment but also of the environment in which a person lives. Meaningful access and inclusion involves a community-wide shift in attitudes and includes physical, social, economic and cultural aspects, as well as access to services and information.
With more than twenty per cent of South Australians indicating that they have a disability, it is more important than ever to ensure that all members of our diverse community are able to participate in, and contribute to society.
The National Disability Strategy 2010–2020 has resulted in significant disability reforms being implemented across Australia, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme providing care and support for people with a permanent and significant disability. Mainstream agencies have an important role to play in the successful implementation of these initiatives because the services they provide complement the disability service system and enable people with disability to participate in their communities on an equitable basis.
The DCSI Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014–2018 progresses the work previously undertaken by the Department and reflects our commitment to making genuine improvements for agency customers and employees with disability. This plan provides a foundation for achieving greater access and inclusion in line with international and national thinking and the expressed wishes of people with disability. The DAIP actions move us beyond compliance towards culture change focussing on best practice and innovation.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been involved in developing the DCSI DAIP, as well as the individual DCSI divisional DAIPs. In particular I would like to acknowledge the members of the DCSI DAIP Intra-Department Steering Committee for their efforts in championing the DAIP process and the DCSI executive directors and directors who supported the project.
I am firmly committed to improving outcomes and increasing opportunities for people with disability and encourage you to become familiar with the plan and work together to ensure the DCSI vision of 'Communities for all: Opportunities for everyone' becomes a reality.
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Reading the DCSI Disability Access and Inclusion Plan
You can read this Plan in four ways:
- visit a separate page for each chapter, using the menu on the left-hand side of this site (accessible option)
- download the DCSI Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014-18 (DOCX 2.0 MB)
- download the DCSI Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014-18 easy-read version (DOC 1.7 MB)
- download the DCSI Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2014-18 plain text. (TXT 34.2 KB)
Phone: +61 8 8415 4250