Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Welcome to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander section of the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion's website. This page aims to provide access to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander content within DCSI.
For more information follow the links below
Aged support and services
Ngadluku Purkarna Tirra-apinthi - Protecting our Elders
Domiciliary Care has created some culturally appropriate resources for service providers to help them identify, respond, intervene and prevent abuse of older people in the Aboriginal community.
Older Aboriginal people, like all people, have the right to feel safe from harm, abuse and neglect.
- Ngadluku Purkarna Tirra-apinthi - Protecting our Elders - handbook for service providers (PDF 2.6 MB)
- Ngadluku Purkarna Tirra-apinthi - Protecting our Elders - handout for service providers (PDF 401.6 KB)
Disability support and services
- DCSI Aboriginal employment strategy 2014-2016 (PDF 202.3 KB)
- DCSI Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander recruitment
Financial support and services
- Aboriginal housing options
- Aged care and retirement housing
- Emergency housing
- Transitional accommodation
DCSI participates in the Sorry Day and NAIDOC events each year with a stall promoting the department and its services at each event.
These events acknowledge important days of remembrance and commemoration, and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures. They also provide an opportunity to recognise the contributions of Aboriginal Australians in various fields.
- Sorry Day – The 2017 event was held on Friday 26 May at Tarntanyangga (Victoria Square). This National Sorry Day event was organised by the Journey of Healing Association (SA).
- SA NAIDOC Family Fun Day - Friday 7 July 2017 at Tarntanyangga (Victoria Square). Supporting NAIDOC Week, 2 to 9 July. This event is organised by the South Australian NAIDOC Committee.
- Chief Executive Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employee of the Year Awards – Also in support of NAIDOC Week, this year DCSI will host morning teas throughout the department and will recognise the contribution of DCSI Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff.
Art Design by Karen Briggs (PDF 76.2 KB) Titled 'connections' - connecting people with services.
"This artwork is an interpretation of connection, connecting people with services based on contemporary use of Aboriginal symbolism. The artwork is not representative of any particular South Australian Aboriginal clan/language group/s."
Please note that all graphics on this page have been used with the express permission of the copyright owners. These images are not owned by the Government of South Australia. See the copyright statement for further information..